Great Expectations

Wednesday, April 14, 2010
"United hired gentlemen with the expectation of training them to become pilots, Northwest hired pilots hoping to train them to become gentlemen. To date, despite their best efforts, neither carrier can be considered successful." - Ed Thompson

I would certainly hope that if both my student and I laid out expectations we wanted the other party to meet, we would certainly do so.  The biggest component is professionalism, on both sides. Promptness, appearance, and demeanor are critical factors of professionalism which I expect my student to respect and the student to think the same of me. Preparedness is another part of expectations on both sides. I want my student at a lesson ready to learn, with the right equipment available. In return they can expect me to be available when the lesson is supposed to begin, with a plan of what we are supposed to accomplish for a lesson that day.
     Other expectations I have for my students is that they have some knowledge of what is going to be done for the lesson. In other words, proper study habits and be able to complete assignments in a timely manner. If necessary, a brief review and suggestions for studying will be covered. Also, I expect students to notify me if something comes up that prevents a lesson from being accomplished as schedule. It does me no good to show up and find out the student is sick at home, with no prior notice.
     What a student can expect out of me is several things. First, if required, I will do what I can to meet with the student outside of scheduled times to review topics. Additionally, I will also submit feedback and grading promptly. Finally, getting the student through whatever they are working in as rapidly as possible will be a priority. With these expectations, it should be smooth and enjoyable flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment